Since my consecration to read through (and enjoy) the Holy Bible late last year, I’ve been following a Bible reading schedule courtesy of www.readHisWord.com. I have been fairly consistent with my readings, but the aim is that I’d gain more enjoyment of Christ whilst spiritually eating, digesting and becoming constituted with the word of God.
A blog I have been following over the past few months has some really practical ways when it comes to living out the church life, and I’d like to present another post which the fellow brother posted.
My highlights from the blog post are as follows:
1. We need to seek God when we come to the Bible! (John 5:39)
2. The condition of our heart must be right in coming to the Bible – anything that hinders us from coming to God in the Bible, deal with this! (2 Corinthians 3:16)
3. We need to come to the Word to receive it as life, not merely as laws! (2 Cor. 3:6; John 10:10b)
4. To seek the Spirit in the Word is far better than to keep the law of the letter – “for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life” (2 Cor. 3:6)
5. We need to have the proper attitude in coming to the Bible! This can be represented by 26 points as seen in Psalm 119:
A. Choose God’s word (Psa. 119:173).
B. Believe God’s word (v. 66).
C. Lift up our hands to it, receive it warmly, saying Amen to it (v. 48; Neh. 8:5-6).
D. Love God’s word (v. 97).
E. Delight in God’s word (v. 24)
F. Taste God’s word (v. 103; cf. 1 Pet. 2:2-3).
G. Rejoice in God’s word (v. 162).
H. Sing God’s word (v. 54; Col. 3:16).
I. Regard God’s word (v. 117).
J. Have a perfect heart in it (v. 80).
K. Incline our heart to it (v. 36).
L. Seek it, long for it, and hope in it with prayer (vv. 45, 40, 147)
M . Trust in it (v. 42).
N. Muse on it (v. 15).
O. Consider it (v. 95b).
P. Esteem it to be right (v. 128a).
Q. Learn it (v. 73).
R. Treasure it (v. 72).
S. Treasure up God’s word in your heart (v. 11).
T. Remember it and do not forget it (v. 52)
U. Stand in awe of it (v. 161).
V. Cling to it (v. 31).
W. Do not forsake it (v. 87).
X. Turn your feet toward it (v. 59).
Y. Keep, observe and do it (v. 69).
Z. Walk in it and run the way of it (vv.1, 32a).
May we come to the word of God not merely to seek knowledge (which though sounding “good”, is still a part of the tree of knowledge of good and evil) but to seek God and His riches!